AIGA Detroit will host a multi-session mentoring program for emerging graphic designers, UX/UI designers, illustrators, and related creatives (college-level student or designer working in the field for less than three years) in fall 2019.
When: October 5th and October 19th, 9:30am to 11:30am
Where: Detroit Center for Design & Technology, 4219 Woodward Ave, Detroit, MI 48201
The mentorship program will be limited to ten participants for this session. The cohort will learn from and connect with multiple industry professionals in an intimate setting to better prepare them for a career in graphic design and related fields. One session will cover “Working for Others” and another will cover “Working for Self”. Participants are required to attend both meetings. Coffee and a light breakfast will be provided.
Upon completion of the program, participants will be able to:
- discuss current industry hiring practices and trends
- prepare a resume, portfolio, and other materials needed to apply for a junior position in the design field according to current industry standards
- prepare for a job interview in the field of design
- prepare a proposal and contract for freelance design work
- discuss their future goals within the design field and the action steps needed to achieve these goals
- connect with a network of industry professionals and their fellow cohort members for continued support
- share knowledge from the program with peers in their community
- Required: Application Google Form (name, email, phone, age, race, pronoun, school/work info (optional), availability for dates (consent checkbox)
- Required: A personal statement (maximum 500 words) describing why they want to participate in the program and what makes them a good fit for the program.
- Required: A letter of recommendation (can be from a professor, a mentor, a colleague, a boss, a pastor, etc…does not need to be a design professional) speaking to the applicant’s character and professionalism.
- Optional: A link to a portfolio or an uploaded design portfolio (as PDF)
- Optional: Scholarship link: 150 words about why you should be considered to have fee waiver
- Program fee if accepted: $25 AIGA member / $40 Non-AIGA / 2 scholarships available
Applications Due: Monday, September 16th by 5pm
Applicants will be notified of their acceptance by Friday, September 20th
Application link: https://form.jotform.com/92056006977159
For any questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org