Become a “pro-fessional” designer.
A five-week course designed for emerging creative professionals to better prepare them for a career in graphic design and related fields.
When: Tuesday nights June 16–July 14, 6:30pm–8:30pm
Where: Virtual Zoom Webinar
Applications due: June 5, 2020
AIGA Detroit will host a five-week course for emerging graphic designers, UX/UI designers, illustrators, and related creatives (college-level students or designers working in the field for less than three years) in Spring/Summer 2020.
The course will be limited to 12 participants. The cohort will learn from and connect with a panel of industry professionals in an intimate setting to better prepare them for a career in graphic design and related fields. Sessions will cover working for others and working for self. Participants are required to attend all 5 meetings and breakout work-sessions.
Class sessions will cover:
- Resume building
- Portfolio building
- Job interviews (virtual and in-person)/industry hiring practices
- Getting freelance work/writing proposals
- Goals & actionable steps for achieving those goals
Upon completion of the program, participants will be able to:
- discuss current industry hiring practices and trends
- prepare a resume, portfolio, and other materials needed to apply for a junior position in the design field according to current industry standards
- prepare for a job interview in the field of design
- prepare a proposal and contract for freelance design work
- discuss their future goals within the design field and the action steps needed to achieve these goals
- connect with a network of industry professionals and their fellow cohort members for continued support
- share knowledge from the program with peers in their community
with Maria Bologna, Freelance Designer & Educator
Setting Goals & Actionable Steps for Achieving Them
with Hien Lam, Chief Prophecy Fulfiller at Huck Finch Branding
with Jon Elsinger, Co-Founder and Chief Creative Officer at DO:BETTER
Getting Freelance Work & Writing Proposals
with Meaghan Barry and Lilian Crum, Co-Founders of Unsold Studio
Job Interviews & Industry Hiring Practices
with Katie Slovan, Creative Manager at Avfuel Corporation
Required: Application Google Form (name, email, phone, age, race, pronoun, school/work info (optional), availability for dates (consent checkbox)
Required: A personal statement (maximum 500 words) describing why they want to participate in the program and what makes them a good fit for the program.
Required: A letter of recommendation (can be from a professor, a mentor, a colleague, a boss, a pastor, etc…does not need to be a design professional) speaking to the applicant’s character and professionalism.
Optional: A link to a portfolio or an uploaded design portfolio (as PDF)
Optional: Scholarship link: 150 words about why you should be considered to have fee waiver
Program fee (if accepted): Free AIGA member / $50 Non-AIGA
Need-based scholarships and reduced rates are available, please contact email@example.com for more information
Applications are now closed
Applicants will be notified of their acceptance by June 10
For any questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org