A WordPress theme lets you customize the look of your website with a little bit of code. In this hands-on workshop students will create a WordPress theme from scratch. We start with some art direction: you develop a simple style guide and learn how to customize page layouts, colors and fonts to match it. Don’t worry, we teach you the code you need to know and where to use it. Along the way we share handy tips and shortcuts too.
During the workshop, you’ll be developing and testing your theme on an isolated WordPress environment. When the theme is ready, you can install it on an existing or future WordPress website. Once you start to customize WordPress, you’ll see the sky is the limit.
Instructors: Laura Eagin and Leeann Drees are Local Design + Tech Entrepreneurs, Co-Founders of ellell & co. who specialize in WordPress web development, web design and code. Laura and Leeann roll up their sleeves and craft beautiful websites for small businesses every day.
Space is limited.
Special discount available to AIGA members.
- $75 for AIGA member
- $100 for Friends of AIGA
- Cost includes full-day workshop and lunch
- Free parking
- Bring a laptop and your charger
- Bring pen and paper (if you prefer to write notes)
- Free WordPress installs provided or all students, courtesy of A2hosting.
- Install a text editor, if you don't use one yet. We recommend Atom.
- Bonus: Have text content and photos ready for your WordPress site, in a folder on your computer.
- Bonus: We recommend that you study the Bootstrap grid ahead of this workshop, since we'll be using it in class.